- A armed thief attempting to steal a cell phone in Rio de Janeiro couldn’t have picked a worse victim. The woman he tried to rob was a UFC fighter.
- Polyana Viana, a 115-pound Brazilian Ultimate Fighting Champion fighter, was waiting for an Uber when the man sat next to her, told her he was armed and demanded she give him her phone.
- “He was really close to me,” Viana says. “So I thought, ‘If it’s a gun, he won’t have time to draw it.’ So I stood up. I threw two punches and a kick. He fell, then I caught him in a rear-naked choke.”
- The 26-year-old fighter says she kept him in the choke hold until police arrived. But the unidentified thief wasn’t taken directly to jail; police had to make a stop at a local hospital first.
- Have you ever had something blow up in your face because you misjudged someone? Do you remember a feel-good moment resulting from someone misjudging you?